The Thomas platform engineering team is growing, and we’re looking for a Search Technology Software Engineer with guru-level search skills to add rocket fuel to the ThomasNet.com search experience.
You’ll wrangle a wide variety of large-scale content and data related to the industrial economy, positioning it at the core of our public-facing products and platform user experience. The ideal candidate for the Search Technology Software Engineer role will have at least 2 years of experience designing, building, and testing search functionality at Internet scale for a product technology platform. We pride ourselves on getting things done, so the ability to create the best-fit technical solutions to meet product and business needs, along with strong self-motivation and drive, are essential. Our engineering team works closely with the product team in a fast paced, iterative, collaborative environment building core functionality and laying the groundwork for our latest products and services. Strong sense of ownership and a passion for learning new things are a must.
What you’ll do as our Search Technology Software Engineer:
- Collaborate with the product team and other key stakeholders to help influence our next wave of search innovation and deliver on the product and user experience vision
- Own the search technology stack from top to bottom, as well as the architecture and technical vision to keep it moving forward
- Optimize all aspects of platform search, from indexing data from myriad diverse sources to organizing and rationalizing results to provide ultimate clarity
- Design and develop high performance and highly available services rendered in beautiful code
- As part of the platform engineering team, contribute to ongoing feature development, specializing in search functionality
- Understand tradeoffs between out-of-the-box technology components and proprietary development and make sounds judgements about when to employ each
- Serve in the platform engineering team as a subject matter expert on search and related data storage and retrieval technologies, including Elasticsearch, Solr, Lucene, SQL/NoSQL databases (MySQL, Redshift, Aurora, DynamoDB, MongoDB)
- Work effectively in a professional development environment including use of source control, unit testing, continuous build and integration, and deployment via devops-style collaboration with infrastructure team
What you bring to our Search Technology Software Engineer role:
- Deep expertise with search technologies and information retrieval
- 2+ years experience with Solr, ElasticSearch, Lucene or other search frameworks
- Familiarity with FAST search a plus
- Experience with taxonomy-driven, structured search solutions
- Strong working knowledge of search engine internals related to query, indexing and other related data
- Experience with balancing recall versus precision in relevancy tuning
- Ability to work in our NYC office (not a remote position)
- A great attitude and joy in continually learning, growing and sharing your technical skills
Who we are and what we offer:
- A collaborative & close-knit team working together in our NYC headquarters. We believe there is no substitute for in-person collaboration within and amongst the engineering team and the product team as a whole
- A team that takes pride in our work and shares responsibility to see it through from conception to deployment to fixing bugs
- A competitive comp and benefits package, including great pay, 401k, full benefits and generous time off
- Random acts of Team Thomas fun including happy hours, wellness competitions, holiday events, and more.
Want to be join our team as a Search Technology Software Engineer? Apply today!